Thursday, December 13, 2012

Farewell Furry Friends (written late 2012)

I wrote this back in 2012 and just realized I never posted it. Better late than never I guess.


I have had enough!! The loneliness and loss I feel every minute of every day is becoming to much to bear....on top of everything else that has happened over the last year and a half, the last few weeks have been the roughest on my heart! I guess I should explain...
For the last 9+ years Brian and I have always had dogs as part of our family. They were our other "kids". For 9 years we had a beautiful German Shepherd named Sasha and then about 7 years ago we got a sweet little mutt I named PJ. Then a little over 2 years ago I adopted my mini dachshund Bella. On a side note, I thank God for her everyday because she has been my constant companion through all my recoveries! Sadly, we lost Sasha in Feb 2011 to bladder cancer. Brian and I were devastated, so, a few months later I adopted an 8 month old black Shepherd that we named Anya. She was so sweet and so beautiful! Well, she and PJ got along fine unless people/attention was involved and when jealousy reared its ugly head they would get into bloody fights. It got so bad that we had to keep them outside separated from human stimuli and even then fights would occasionally break out over nothing. Then there was the fact that PJ was Houdini on four legs. She could escape anything and when she did she would run the neighborhood. Between the fights and the escape attempts, the police were called on us a number of times. When Mel was living here she got issued a ticket for "dog at large" while we were out of town because a neighbor complained. The situation was not fair to the dogs, our neighbors or the kids! Because of those issues and the fact that we may be forced to move we made the decision to rehome PJ, but I was having no luck in finding her a home, so we made the heartbreaking decision to rehome Anya. Of course, right as we found a home for Anya someone finally called about PJ. They wanted her as a companion dog for a disabled girl....how could we say no? So, in the span of two days we dropped both dogs off with their new families. It was truly heartbreaking!! I still tear up when I think about it....the saving grace that healed my heart came in the form of a Beagle named Jake. The day after PJ left we saw that a 1 year old Beagle had been found as a stray and was up for adoption at animal control. We went to look at him and fell in love! He fits into the family perfectly, he can stay in the house and he and Bella are best friends...he is also small, so if we do have to move we'll have no problem getting him approved...that had been an issue with the girls because they were both on the "aggressive" breed list. I have to say that I still miss my girls but Jake has helped heal my heart! No one wants to say farewell to their furry family, but Anya and PJ are in the best possible homes for them and that gives me comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment